Mazda organizes the event “2022 Mazda Business Review & Way Forward” under the theme “Challenge to the New Possibilities” to announce its success of FY2021 business performance with cumulative sales over 35,654 units, accounted for 4.5% market share. The Mazda2 is the most popular model with cumulative sales of almost 20,000 units while cumulative sales combined between the two popular crossover SUV, the Mazda CX-30 and Mazda CX-3 was more than 12,000 units. Mazda aims to invade in new business with Mazda CPO to raise the price of used car and plans to launch sustainable business model that is “Retention Business Model” to deliver customer value from service and Privilege program. Mazda aims to achieve sales target more than 40,000 units or accounted for 15% increase from FY2021.
Mr. Thee Permpongpanth, Senior Vice President of Mazda Sales (Thailand) Co. Ltd., said, “From the pandemic of Covid-19, customers remained caution with their spending as they were unsure about the situation. The pandemic also affected many manufacturing plant to suspend the production, causing a shortage of parts and affecting the entire automotive industry. Nevertheless, there were positive factors from the increased number of vaccinated people, lifting of government measure, which positively benefit to the Thai automotive industry in the FY2021. The cumulative sales of automotive industry increased slightly from FY2020 by 1% to 795,000 units. The pick-up truck market was the most popular segment which had cumulative sales of 357,000 units, followed by 214,000 units of passenger car, 143,000 units of crossover SUV (include PPV), 81,000 units of cars in other segment and another 2,097 units of electric vehicles.
Mazda was able to achieve FY2021 sales performance (April 2021-March 2022) at 35,654 units, which decreased slightly by 11% when compared year on year with FY2020 and accounted for 4.5% market share. The cumulative sales was divided into 20,115 units of passenger car. In especially, the Mazda2 was still popular and had cumulative sales of 18,426 units, which was accounted for more than half of passenger car’s total sales, followed by 1,685 units of Mazda3 and another 4 units of Mazda MX-5. The pick-up truck, Mazda BT-50 had cumulative sales more than 1,224 units while the CX-Series, crossover SUV had 14,315 units, which accounted for 2% increase. The cumulative sales of the CX-Series was able to divided into 6,879 units of Mazda CX-30, 5,378 units of Mazda CX-3, 1,074 units of Mazda CX-8 and 984 units of Mazda CX-5 respectively.
Thee Permpongpanth also reveals about this vision toward the Thai automotive industry in FY2022, “There are no clear positive factors and there are uncontrollable factors including the tension situation in Europe, the Baht’s fluctuation, the concern of Coronavirus mutation, the rising of oil price, the concern of logistic and the shortage of semi-conductor. However, we believe that the Thai automotive industry has passed the lowest point because people are vaccinated and the Covid-19 will be announced to be the endemic, Thailand is now opened for travelers and government relief measure will be positive factors accelerating the recovery of the Thai’s economy. We expect that the FY2022 automotive industry will have cumulative sales of about 820,000 – 850,000 units and we believe that Mazda will achieve more than 40,000 units of sales performance or increase by 15%.”
In FY2022, Mazda prepares to invade used car market by offering quality used car to customers with the new business line “MAZDA CPO” (Certified Pre-Owned). This is the trade-in channel under the Trade Cycle Management Strategy that customer will achieve maximum benefit from the ownership of Mazda car. The Mazda used car is certified from Mazda Sales Thailand and had been passed 100-point inspection. The MAZDA CPO will increase residual value of Mazda used car, strengthen Mazda brand value and enhance customer’s confidence. At present, there are 9 outlets of MAZDA CPO that has been operating and we expect to increate another 18 outlets to 38 outlets nationwide within 2025.
Thee Permpongpanth said about the FY2022 business strategy that Mazda will consistently follow the Mid-Term Plan to enhance Mazda Brand Value in Thailand by converting the business to “Retention Business Model” by focusing on enhancing brand value and improving maximum customer experience. This business model will be the core strategy that will be passed on to form strategic workforce in all area which comprised of 5 pillars.
- Mazda Brand Value Management (BVM)
- Customer Retention Business
- Dealer Network Strategy
- Utilize digital Platform
- Commit to the Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030
- Mazda announced “Sustainable Zoom-Zoom” or its long-term vision for technology development in 2007 and update again in 2017 to “Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030”. The core vision is still the same which is to endeavor for carbon neutrality by 2050.
- Under the Building Block Strategy to reduce the CO2 from Well-to-Wheel with Multi-solution approach to offer the right energy form in the right situations by taking into account of the suitability of each market and the energy situation of each region and etc.
The Building Block Strategy will enable Mazda to achieve the purpose of this vision, which is to build a strong foundation of innovation and technology systematically to develop vehicle that responds to applications in an appropriate time frame.
- Phase 1: Develop vehicle based on the whole car with Skyactiv technology comprises of engine, powertrain and high-efficiency platform by offering several products. In this development stage, the basic technologies of electric vehicles are introduced, such as the i-Stop system and the Regenerative Braking System, which bring back the energy from the car to be recharged into electric power and bring energy back to use in the car’s electrical system.
- From phase 1 to phase 2: A new generation of engines and powertrains have been developed along with the development of Skyactiv Scalable Architecture Platform as a Multi-Solution for the small and medium-sized car groups. Recently, Mazda developed the Large Platform for large vehicles with longitudinal engine placement.
- Including the introduction of additional electric power such as HEV, PHEV, Rotary Range Extender and the BEV. The first model is the MX-30 that is developed based on high-efficiency platform and engine, making the xEV to save energy and has excellent driving performance.
- And in the future or Phase 3: Mazda is developing Skyactiv EV Scalable Architecture or Next Generation Architecture from Skyactiv The goal is to present a structure that is suitable for electric car in every component and in every segment. This is under the Building Block Strategy and Multi-Solution that offers high-efficiency of internal combustion engine (ICE) and xEV in Multi-Solution in different market.
Thee Permpongpanth said, “Mazda will continue to deliver new vehicles and enhance our internal combustion engines featuring technology and safety features, provide a low fuel consumption rate and friendly to the environment which is in line with Mazda’s corporate vision. Mazda believes that internal combustion engine will continue to popular in Thailand. At the same time, we has prepared to support government policy to accelerate the Thai economy but we will unveil product that is suitable to the Thai market step-by-step under an appropriate time to provide customers with the best technology at the time that is most suitable for their daily use.”
These are the key strategies for Mazda business operation in the Fiscal year 2022. This will strengthen the business during the transition period of automotive industry, offer the best choice for customers and drive the Thai economy sustainably. Mazda will continue to develop automotive technology in order to deliver value and preserve the environment, which is in line with the vision “Sustainable Zoom-Zoom 2030”, for the beautiful earth, for people and for society.